Thursday 28 August 2008

Please humour me, My favourite photographs of Venice

I have decided to indulge myself and post some of my favourite pictures of Venice . . the ones that I am particularly pleased with. . Some of them are repeated in the earlier posts, but mostly they are only found here. I loved taking pictures of Venice, I took well over 500. I wanted to chose my favourite ten, and so here they are. I don't pretend that they are the best (if indeed any deserve that title) but they are the ones I like the best!


Number 1 Venice taken from the aeroplane, courtesy of Easyjet's almost clean windows. This shows clearly that Venice is not an island, rather a group of 200+ islands seperated by canals. The Grand Canal is like the river Thames and winds around with exceptionally large cambers. In the distance you can see the enormous Ocean Liners at Tronchetta, and the causeway attaching Venice to mainland Italy.


Number 2. . . . Taken from my hotel window, I waited hours (or maybe minutes) to take a picture of a gondola from directly overhead. The trouble was our hotel backed onto a very quiet canal, and the gondolas kept to the other side of the wall, so it is not a direct capture. However I do really like it, and it reminds me of my lovely hotel room.

Number 3 is the dancing on St Mark's Square as we sat sipping our Pinot Grigio and listening to the nand playing. It may have been the most expensive bottle of wine ever bought but it was worth every penny to be so richly entertained in such a magnificent setting. . .


Number 4 was taken on our first eveing, and the sky seemed so stormy I could not believe that we would not have thunder and lightening galore. . . .


but a few hours later the same place delivered another photograph that I like . . . and photo number 5 . . .



Photographs numbers 6 and 7 were taken from the top of the Campanile on St Mark's Square. The Campanile is open during the summer between 9am and 9pm and I can thoroughly recommend a trip up in both daylight and at dusk. The view is magical. If you already feel as though you are in a film set, this view only enhances that feeling. I have chosen the same shot because I just love the rooves of the Basilica. . . . .



Photograph number 8 is included for the memory of taking it.. It is so busy by the Rialto bridge that I failed on very many occasions to take a picture of the Rialto to my stisfaction. There are always people hanging over the edge, a pesky vaporetta getting in the way and as for that Vaporetta stop. . . . However after a bottle of wine, I was brave enough to venure out onto a pontton to take this shot.. and actually I quite like it!!


Photo number 9 is the view from the back of the Rialto bridge. At night much of Venice is totally still, and actually quite dark and silent. I felt that this picture captured that quite well. . .



and last but not least photograph number 10 . . . . I like photographing SanGiogio Maggiore although I am ashamed to say that I have never been there. I was trying to capture a picture like he one taken in the daytimein a different post (Gondola, gondola, gondola) with the gondolas in the forground and San Giogio as the backdrop, but the wind was blowing and the gondolas would not stay remotely still. However I do like the shot because it is just like I think Venice is... The stillness of the buildings, that have stood exactly the same for centuries, with all the movement and bustle that goes on inside the city. . . there I did ask you to indulge me didn't I??

There you go, no more posts or photographs about Venice, I promise. . . although I misht just have my fingers crossed behind my back!!

2 comments:

debbie said...

Wow., just looked at all your Venice Photos and there amazing, they show them up to make Venice a truly beautiful place,, and stop putting your photos down, there great, looks like Jen has a Nikon too, just the band on her neck gave it away,,

hope you had a fab time there too

jennyberrypix.blogspot.com said...

Yes us Nikon users like to advertise!! J x