Thursday 28 August 2008

Gondola, Gondola, Gondola - Venice (where else?)

What do you immediately think of when you think of Venice... Gondolas, with their gondoliers romantically leading you through the waterways of Venice, singing O Sole Mio.. and maybe nicking a Cornetto for you??? Certainly 'Gondola, gondola, gondola ' is what you'll hear the most in Venice, with Gondoliers on every street corner touting for custom. Luckily we looked far too poor to be able to afford the 100 euros, and so did not attract too much interest from the Gondoliers. They were utterly fantstic to watch, admire and photograph. In New York you buy calendars of fireman, here in Venice the heros are the Gondoliers.

I do believe that most of the fun of Gondolas is watching them, the rides are terribly expensive, and Gondoliers spend most of their time on their mobile phone, or talking to their friends.. not very romantic... However if everyone felt like me then there would be nothing to photograph!!

This first was taken from my hotel window... not a bad view eh?? The gondolas at St Mark's Square are all beatifully kept and have their uniform blue livery. San Giorgio in the background completes the magic.







This gondola ride looks dreamily wonderful... but notice the spare gondolier at the side, he spent most of the time running alongside his mate shouting to him.. I'd have asked for my money back!!









This lot never talked back... but I don't think much of their biceps!





I was fascinated by the 'ferro' used to counterbalance the weight. I tried to take so many shots like this and irritatingly none of them really worked!




This was almost my favourite shot apart from the car ferry in the background....






No comments: