Tuesday 26 August 2008

Around St Mark's Square - Venice

St Mark's is the centre of Venice, a wonderful square dominated by the Basilica and the Campanile (views of that in a different Post..) This first photo is not really much good, BUT is possibly my favourite photo of Venice. On our second and last evening we enjoyed the luxury of a bottle of wine on the square, listening to the various bands playing. Around us people were drinking, chatting and dancing, in the wonderful surroundings. I hope this photo sort of sums that up for you!

and this taken on the way home after the aforementionned bottle of wine!

What can I say about the Basilica, it dominates St Mark's Square and is simply wonderful. I cannot do it justice really.. If you have never seen it.. just go, that's what I can say. . . Don't look at these second rate pictures, go yourselves and see it!




It was with great excitement that I finally saw the clock tower. . . this has always been covered with cladding and scaffolding when I have visited in the past. The bell is struck perfectly on the hour and the building is delicious!


I feel sure that many of the rooms behind this facade are empty. The retsaurants below are vibrant and busy, yet the windows above seem bare and unlit, whenever I visit. . . .



The Doge's Palace was yet another site we did not visit. The exterior looks marvellous and one day I will spend a week in Venice and visit all the places I photograph!!





The next three photographs were taken at 6am as we hurried to the Vaporetta to allow Jen and Edward to catch a flight home. The square is almost deserted, and finally I could get a clear shot.. but somehow the Sqare looks better full of people.. am I ever happy?








The horses at the Basilica are wonderful. I feel sad that these are replicas, as the originals are now kept indoors due to their fragility.


The daytime equivalent of the next shot. San Giorgio Maggiore looks wonderful, but sadly we did not manage to visit it. . . .



Another of my favourite shots, San Giorgi Maggiore in the distance with the sleeping gondolas in front of me. The wind was a bit nippy and the gondolas were rocking away, far too much for a good photograph, but somehow I like the crazy movement, it sums up Venice, the tranquility of the scene that has remained the same for centuries, yet hustle na dbustle all around!


and later at night. . . .
and finally waiting for an early morning vaporetta to whisk Jen and edward back to Piazza Le Roma to take them back to the reality that is the mainland. . .









No comments: