Monday 11 August 2008

Bristol - International Balloon Festival 2008




Never ever ever let me go to a Hot Air Balloon festival again... A couple of years back I arranged tickets to a Hot Air Balloon show at Leeds Castle, bought a hotel room for a night etc etc... There was a howling gale all weekend and the balloons didin't even bother to leave the house. . . (unlike me!!). However not to be discouraged I tried again. The bRistol International Hot Air Balloon festival was celebrating it's 30th birthday and didn't look as if it would tolerate Howling gales... I was right... it didn't... Oh no it rained - All - B*****y weekend. I went to see the balloons on Thursday evening, at 5.30 am on Friday morning, to no avail, I just got cold and wet!! Friday evening was the last chance as the forecast for Saturday was dire (and dire it was!! I slept in!!)


The delight when we were finally given a green light for a mass release was enormous. It was a wonderful sight, totally worth spending 2 nights in the Country's worst Travelodge... (actually very nearly the country's worst hotel!!) The light was apalling, and that it my excuse for poor photos... because it was such a wonderful sight, that there are only limited excuses... but I am going for weather!! The balloons being inflated . . .












Slowly, slowly the first ones pull away . . .




Probably in terms of a good photo I should have stood well back, but it was so much fun standing at the ropes watching the hard work. The strength and organisation that goes in to getting a balloon off the ground is intense, so I sacrificed 'art' for interest!!







As we walked back to the car, the sky was full of balloons hanging serenely in the sky. . .


1 comment:

debbie said...

if you want to see some more balloons Northampton town has one from 15th to 17th Aug,, oh thats this weekend..