Saturday 29 March 2008

Pennington Flash

Today it was raining, but did that put us off??? Noooo, Off to Pennington Flash in a flash.. A wonderful nature reserve in Leigh. The Bunting Hide has plenty of feeders and plenty of hungry guests... and a few birds!! I have been trying for a while to get a photo of the perfect robin, and how the perfect shot eluded me today I really don't know.. the robins were out in force, and posing too. Perhaps I should give up and start collecting stamps insead??





The bluetits nearly made me cry, they were NOT keen on being photographed and would not stop still for a second, let alone the minute my poor cold fingers needed to frame the shot.






You don't get many bullfinches in London, the look quite scary, I wouldn't like to meet him in a dark wood or anything. I suggest you throw him your fat balls and make a run for it! This one was easy, both to take and to name... cutie little blackbird. Who could ever put these in a pie??

There was a fir bit of arfument over this one, Edward swears it is a sparrow, Jen claims she doesn't know and Sarah thinks it may be either a coal tit or a willow tit. But I've got a book (you didn't think I actually knew all of these did you??) and my money is on a willow tit.. but I am happy to be corrected, by someone who knows obviously... not just someone who has a vague idea, or the same book as me (Hamlyn Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe just for clarification!)
This one is worth noting for the rain.... the chaffinch didn't seem to mind through


Here he is about to be hit by a rather large raindrop... Tell you what mate I know how that felt!! .....
but his missus didn't seem keen on her nuts??



I think I like the long tailed tit nearly the best...



and here's my chaffinch back!



I held my breath when the greater Spotted Woodpecker came for a feed, but he wouldn't stay long, nor would he move away from the dreadful duct tape holding up the feeder... boo hiss. He was majestic though, even if he did look at bit scruffy.. Mind you with all the rain still coming down I looked even more bedraggled than him!





However the song thrush looked perfectly lovely




As we were walking (in a shivering damp kind of way) back to the car a pair of Lapwing flew past, which were only identifiable when one kindly landed a few yards in front of us....





Well that was a chance for me to 'Name that Bird' Answers on a postcard for any I get wrong!!





3 comments:

jennyberrypix.blogspot.com said...

And what is wrong with these robin photos, I think the 2nd one is prefect? J x

Anya and Lisa said...

Oooh yes I can see that now!! Many thanks
Ax

debbie said...

wow wow I just love these Bird photos, I take it you were in a hide to take them they are amazing..