Saturday 23 February 2008

Swans swans swans

The whooper swans fly south from Iceland every October and spend the winter in Northern Egland, Scotland and Ireland. Come March when they have fattened nicely they all fly back to Iceland (not with BA who don't fly there anymore... but don't get me started on how much I hate them for THAT decision). Approximately 1400 of the swans chose to winter at Martin Mere, although by the time I pitched up yesterday many of them had begun the flight home. The swans looked so wonderful on the lake, and I think I must have taken about 200 photograps of them. Surely, surely, not even I could cock up 200 photographs. It seems as though I could. Although in my defence it was very windy, cold and attempting to drizzle. Aaah well they'll be back next year. - This is my feeble best.....
This one made me laugh because I didn't notice until I looked at the photos on the screen that this swan had completely crash landed, and was using the poor swan it landed on as some sort of airbag. . . . I hope there was no harm done


and here, a shelduck lands on the swan, although I am imagining this wasn't quite as painful or as shocking as having a swan land on you out of the blue!

3 comments:

Bold oy! said...

I found your blog and really enjoy the photos.

Thank you!

Mãe said...

What a wonderful blog!! And these lovely photos really made my day!! Where did you catch so many swans? And the ducks and flamingos?

Anya and Lisa said...

Thank you both for your lovely comments. The photographs from this particualr day were taken at the wonderful WWT centre called Martin Mere in Lancashire, England.

Thank you for taking the trouble to comment
Anya