Saturday 23 February 2008

Huffing and Puffing around London

As a child I spent many many hours in this cathedral, as my baby brother was a chorister there. I have not returned for many years, but thought that I could remember some nice views from the top... so armed with a camer, I slowly (oh very slowly) started my ascent. About 450 steps later I think I arrived at the Golden gallery. I know I was hallucinating a little after all the stairs I had climbed, not to mention the vertigo from the 'see through' wrought iron steps at the last. The strong wind and drizzle was a good slap in the face though, and I'm glad I had one. The views of London were superb, on a sunny day there can be few better views in London. This is the City, right on St Paul's doorstep. I had not realised there was so much building going on. . .

and views of the Southbank, The Tate Modern and the Globe theatre right the other side of the Milennium (aka wobbly, even though it isn't any more. . . )bridge.


Way in the distance, through the haze, you can see my usual stamping ground, the London Eye and Hungerford Bridge.


Back on terra firma, the sun began to peer through. One hilarious wag, suggested I pop back up to take some more shots. If there had been enough oxygen in my system to get to any of my muscles, I would have belted him!



and I have entitled this one the View from (under) the Bridge, (Blackfriars that is!)




These lamps fascinate me, and I thik I will return soon with the sole intention of capturing these properly. This was a bit of an afterthought which nearly worked.



Heading at speed to familiar territory now, I am back at teh Southbank proper. This area changes weekly, although sad to say the smell does not.



and as not set of London pix would be complete without one, here is the London Eye, just for a change.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ta very muchly!!!

Now I'm intruiged by the deleted comment...

xxx

Anya and Lisa said...

Oooh I wish it was exciting.. but not at all, just a 'click here and be directed t some very boring spam' If it was juicy well now I might have kept it. The photos were specially for you! I hope you noticed!
Ax

Anonymous said...

I did indeedy, hence the thanks. And thanks again!!

xxx