Sunday 6 January 2008

A late evening stroll around London

Having left the theatre and my friends behind I was supposed to be going home.. but the house was empty, the night was clear and my camera was in my bag. It seemed rude not to jump on a bus and head up to St Paul's, walk accross the wobbly bridge and then along the Southbank to Waterloo. I also thought it would be rude not to take a photo of the bus that just brought me to the starting point!
St Paul's from a different angle, although I have used pretty much the same technique here, with the long exposure. I am pretty pleased with this photograph!! YAY!!

The Tate Modern taken from the Milennium Bridge. I was impressed that it was still open, but not impressed at it being unlit, which meant that this shot was taken on very very long exposure... almost a minute.. still I like the effect. The bridge was actually quite busy, and I compliment myself that I managed to capture the one minute that it was totally empty!!


An old friend, the Spider at the Tate, still threatening the City of London, still not spotted by the police or indeed the Army. It was pretty hard to get a night shot due to the lack of available things to tie camera onto, to keep it still for the shot

This picture is dedicated to Aunty Jen as she bought me a Cokin filter with a star lens for my birthday. This is a shot of Blackfriars Bridge with St Paul's Cathedral behind, and I like the star effect very much here, on some pictures it can be a little overwhelming!! I will post one later!
St Gabriel's Wharf, looking very festive despite it being nearly twelfth night. These trees were everywhere between the Wharf and Waterloo bridge, they looked very pretty, but not very good for Global Warming!

The National Theatre beautifully lit up, I wish whoever designed their lighting scheme would come and do my house!

actually this one is slightly out of kilter, it wasn't taken from Waterloo bridge rather between Blackfriars and Waterloo, but come on it's nearly 1am.. I am allowed the odd screw up...

This one was on the long exposure for about 45 seconds, which has given it a nice richness of colour, and actually the most authentic from what I remember of the actual view Yawn yawn, an old favourite of mine, I apologise, but after all that new stuff I thought you might not notice if I slipped in an old comfortable friend..... My excuse it that this evening I managed to pick up a lot of blue....



Oh dear another one, this one has once again been Anya'd, and also I used the Cokin star filter again with interesting effect! Console yourself, my walk lasted no longer, and I skipped off to Waterloo, which was mercifully restored to normality after the fiascos of NYE.

3 comments:

jennyberrypix.blogspot.com said...

Love the 2 of St Paul's. Are there meant to be 3 father christmas hats in the second one? J x

debbie said...

as well as the Cokin filter do you use a tripod at night?? just wondering, I love your fairground rides at the bottom they look like lolly pops,, London looks good to.. Come on Anya its time you did Postcards..

Anya and Lisa said...

Debbie,

I have one of those Joby tripods, that you can bend into shape or use as ties. Richard my ex gave me some vouchers for Jesspos for Christmas, so I might buy a proper tripod.. can't decide!!
Thanks for nice comments
Axx