Wednesday 23 May 2007

Chelsea Flower Show May 2007

I spent the day at Chelsea Flower Show today, and despite and initial hiccup (forgot my SD memory card, but luckily realised outside Peter Jones.. who sell them!!!). It was my first ever visit to the show and it was fun, although I was very hot and very squished by the crowds. I even managed to buy another bird feeder!!

The Daily Telegraph Garden had 'only' won a silver gilt medal, but to mind it was the best garden. It was the garden I most wanted to sit in, maybe even dabble my toes in the pond. The BBC were filming in here, which made it the busiest garden by far.. and they were only filming a flower!!!
This garden won a Gold Medal and was voted Best In Show by the RHS judges. I didn't really get it.. It was nicknamed 'Life on Mars' and was supposed to represent a garden that could be sustained on Mars, under a bubble of course. Not even a better photographer could have done this justice I am afraid!!

A wonderful water feature. I saw this photographed in the Daily Telegraph and it was a fab picture.. however I did need a bit of a step ladder to have done this justice. I hope you can see the effect I was trying to get!
A wonderful cottage garden with masses and masses of foxgloves. It made me quite want to live in the cottage, but I am sure I would have been outbid by everyone else who thought the same thing.. plus I remembered all the weeding!
Errrr sad to say yet another flower that I am totally ignorant of it's name.. never mind the Latin translation. However it does look lovely!
There were some lovely orchids around, but I liked these best. The common colour scheme this year was all shades of purple.. heading into pink.. hmmm thats not a sweeping generalisation at all

Lots of the show gardens had these flowers in, I don't know what they are called, but I thought they looked like Scottish Thistles with a colour change!!
People don't particularly dress up for Chelsea these days, mind you if these are the latest fashions then I'm glad I went in my jeans!
Guess who was visiting the show? I do hope the Doctor just likes flower shows and was not chasing aliens around.... now I think about it... Best in show might have been of interest to him.... ?








2 comments:

jennyberrypix.blogspot.com said...

Think we have that white flower by our drive gate - it's a type of cistus. The flowers only last about 24 hours but new ones keep coming. J xx

Anya and Lisa said...

aaaah thank you.. I look forward to photographing yours next week then, hope they will be looking their best!