Saturday 12 May 2007

British Mueum 11.5.07

The British Museum - I am ashamed to say that I never stepped foot into this wonderful building until about 9 months ago. The Grand Court has been refurbished (apparantly I never went before!) and is so impressive... however almost impossible to photograph.. werll by me anyway! I took the boys on a whirlwind tour of my favourite exhibits.




Mummies!!! My favourite room.. sadly today I was accompanied by two little philistines.. so we swept through at great speed



For Margaret we went to see the treasure at Sutton Hoo.. everyone was trying to take photographs of this wonderful helmet.. hope theirs were better than mine! This is a photo of an Anglo-Saxon helmet from the ship burial at Sutton Hoo.

The Parthenon galleries, containing the Parthenon Sculptures, more commonly known as the Elgin Marbles. I feel very lucky to have seen them, but do I believe they belong in Greece? ... Sadly, Yes! Note that on the first picture here I have tried using a lower aperture with limited success.
It is remarkable that these were first carved almost 2,500 years ago


This is the Ancestral figure Hoa Hakannai'a from Easter Island

Hope you enjoyed our mini-tour. I LOVED the British museum, but my children are philistines like their father...











No comments: