Thursday 1 January 2009

London New Year Fireworks - The embankment

Interupting all the photos from Israel just for a brief moment here.....


December 31st 2007, remember where you were?? I do.. standing on Waterloo Bridge waiting for three hours in the spit spot rain, only to see three fireworks and then a whole lot of smoke. I blogged about it, and it seems like it was a huge problem for lots of people... so fast forward a year.. and I decided to try again. Having carefully checked the weather to know which way was UPWIND (Well OK I asked the people next to me, and they had checked) so began two and a half very cold hours of waiting!

We knew that midnight was approaching, as like pumpkins in reverse, all the boats began to arrive . . .

and finally, as my toes could bear the pain no longer it was midnight.. Hurrah.. Happy New Year Auld Lang Syne and all that!!
and the fireworks began!!

and I could see them all!!


and you know what? They were worth all those hours of waiting, this year AND Last!! Thanks to all the people standing next to me, who nearly kept me warm, and special thnks to the lady who gave me three broken bits of glow stick to celebrate with... you helped make my evening!


OK, so now begins the long walk home. Eschewing last years nightmare queues to get into Waterloo Station I decided to walk to Vauxhall Station. A few Little officious jobsworths made us wait on the Embankment until the twenty or so of us waiting to get through were pretty much the only twenty people left on the Embankment, Westminster Bridge was closed because someone needed an ambulance, which was not a great start to THEIR New Year.. But we had a fun walk to Lambeth Bridge, being wished Happy happies by lots of merry teeneagers!

and then I arrived at my car in Glyn Road. I ALWAYS park legally.. in fact very rarely even park on a yellow line even when allowed to on Sundays etc. Tonight was no exception.. I parked in a proper bay, within the lines and everything. But because the chap next to me had been blocked in behind me by someone else parked badly he decided to vent his anger on me... What a lovely bloke to meet at 1.30am.. Apparantly he was a Social Worker.. all I can say mate is that with your nasty temper and you rather pathetic personality you make every Social Worker in the country look marvellous next to you, and as you know at the moment there are some social workers who really don't look very good at the moment.. although many of them I take my hat off to you do a grand job. However to the Social Worker who lives or parks his car on Glyn Road in Vauxhall, all I can say is, you really are a bit of a knobhead aren't you. Shouting at a lone woman at 1.30am because someone else has parked badly isn't really on is it?? To use your only lovely phrase... 'Trot on dearie' ... and quickly please

No comments: