Thursday 1 January 2009

ISRAEL - The Sea Of Galilee

Totally out of order now (especially with the intervention of London on NYE) We spent the day around the sea of Galilee on Sunday 21st December


Kester and Yael live in a small village called Korazim north of the Sea of Galilee (called the Kinneret in Israel). It is here that Jesus lived after being driven out from Nazereth, here where he met his disciples, Mary Magdalene, preached the sermon on the mount and fed the multitude with loaves and fishes. . . . Apparantly Jesus wasn't too enamoured with Korazim and he is said to have cursed the village.. doesn't sound very Christian to me!!!


Sadly the weather was not particualarly kind to us, and the views of the SOG were not as splendid as Kester assures me they really are.. as you can see by the Sky on our first morning. Bearing in mond the Israelis have been desperate for rain for months, and many people have been praying for rain, or performing rain dances... we were obvioulsy very kind and generous in bringing rain with us, however it was NOT what I wanted for my photographs.. still it gives me a good excuse for poor quality shots!



This is the view from kester and Yael's roof just after dawn!
and from their roof you can see Tiberius, the biggest town on the Sea of Galilee. It is a large Jewish town, about 20 kilometres away from Korazim as the crow flies.




This was my attempt to take a photograph of the Kinneret as it has probably looked for the past 2,000 years.

and this was taken frm the spot where Jesus is believed to have delivered the sermon on the Mount 'Suffer ye little children unto me' or something like that.. I don't expect there were banana trees growing in his day, or there probably would not have been the need for the loaves and fishes miracle... but it all looks very biblical




These palm trees intigued me.. they were taken from Migdalen, birthplace of Mary Magdalene.
This is a typical view of the region, Vines grow everywhere, and very good wine they make too... I only tried a mouthful honest!!




Most houses seem to have a grow your own version as well... brings a whole new meaning to home made wine!



Kester was pretty sharp eyed, and spotted a field of Cranes. To my utter disgust teh light was fading fast ( the sun if there had been any would have been setting) and I could not get these into focus... and then a brief flash of blue... yay my first kingfisher.. Ok this is not what we know and love in the UK.. I have looked it up and this is a White throated kingfisher..

No comments: