Sunday 1 June 2008

Four go wild in Iceland

On 15th December 2007 I reached that difficult milestone, my fortieth birthday. As part of my present some money towards a holiday was very kindly given to me by Margaret and I put this towards a family holiday in Iceland.

Last Monday we finally arrived in this strange yet magnificent country. From the sublime scenery to the ridiculous (eggy smelling water and geysirs!?!) it was a week I will never forget. As ever I was armed with my camera, and tried to cover the week as best as I could. As ever the results are never as good as I hoped they woud be.

The first couple of pictures are of the VestmannaeyjarIslands some kilometres off the South coast of Iceland. As we left Vik, they were shrouded in mist and looked fantastic. The second picture shows the water running of the glacier and heading for sea with the Vestmannaeyjar in the background.


On our last evening we all went to the Blue Lagoon and lazed around in the warm water there, scrubbing our faces with the silicone in the water, although my hair has yet to recover my face still feels as smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom!



Tuesday morning found us at Geysir, watching Strokkur erupt every five minutes or so. The air was thinck with spray from various geothermic activity. . . .










Thingvellir plain is situated on the boundaries of two tectonic plates. Europe and North America are desperately tearing apart 2mm each year. This is the largest and most dramatic of the rifts and fissures there. Just 2 hours after visiting this site, the area suffered an earthquake measuring 6.7 on the Richter scale. I am trying not to take it personally!







Thingvallavatn is Iceland's largest lake, and helps make this area one of outstanding beauty as well as importance. It was here in 930 that the Vikings established Iceland's forst Parliamnet the Althing.The first night we stayed in Hotel Hekla, at the foot of this live Volcano; Mount Hekla. The volcano is due to erupt anytime in the next couple of years, so I was slightly relieved to pass by unscathed.
and no, this was not our hotel. However I wonder if this building is still standing after the earthquake? It was pretty near the epicentre.All through Iceland we came accross these rivers, full of water running of the Glaciers. When you collected water from them, the water was always crystal clear and absolutely FREEZING!
Everywhere we went there were fields and fields of dandelions. They grew on every verge. They were not the weedy things we get in the UK, but rather strong, vivid yellow perfumed flowers.
There were dogsledding trips on the Myrdalsjokull glacier, which was yet another trip we managed not to get onto... However we did get to meet the huskies... Such cuties. . . .


This just has to be one of the best placenames in the whole of Europe, never mind Iceland!!

No comments: