Sunday 16 December 2007

Saturday 15th December 2007

Forty years ago my mother went to Lambeth hospital to have a 'small general anaesthetic' in order to turn a pesky baby that was breech. She was 36 weeks pregnant and went to the hospital on the Underground carrying a battered copy of Period Piece and a nightie in a string bag. My father was at work. At approximately 8pm that evening my mother awoke from the anaesthetic and complained to the staff that the procedure had brought on labour and she was having contractions. Apparantly it took the staff several moments to convince her that her eldest daughter had been delivered by C-Section and was currently in the Neo-Natal unit. Sadly today, my mother is not alive to celebrate my 40th birthday, but both of my parents were much in my thoughts as we celebrated.
Today I finally persuaded my sister, brother-in-law, my niece and my good friend Margaret to have a whirl on the London Eye. We chose mid afternoon, as I have not experienced a sunset from the London Eye, it was a glorious day, the weather obliged and the views were superb. I was thoroughly spoilt by everyone, particularly my darling boys Tom and Jamie, my sister Philippa, Margaret, my colleagues and friends who made the evening so special.
This is actually the last photo that I took, as the sun finally sank behind the buildings...


and half way up looking North from the Eye

meanwhile the sun was rapidly setting . . . . .







apologies, these photos are in no particular order....
Back down on terra firma the sun was sinking rapidly behind the Houses of Parliament. Bearing in mind the last time I took a photo from this spot I was stopped by the police on suspicion of being a terrorist, I was slightly concerned at this point.. but luckily I managed to avoid the attentions of the Rozzers on today of all days.









I think this might be a sideways on photo, but it doesn't half make the Eye look exciting!




3 comments:

debbie said...

Fantastic Anya, what a great day, and great photos.. sorry your parents are not here with you in person, but in your heart forever.. glad you had a good day on your birthday

Posh Totty said...

Beautiful photos :o)

Im pleased you enjoyed your birthday xxxx

jennyberrypix.blogspot.com said...

Love the one third from the bottom, you should keep this in mind for a competition! See you soon, J xx