Sunday 6 April 2008

Olympic Torch - London leg for Beijing 2008

The Olympic Torch hit London today, and as my original plans were cancelled due to snow I decided to wander along with the trusty camera. I was reluctant to attend as I certainly do NOT agree with Chinese policy on Tibet, and human rights in it's own county, but was convinced by Seb Coe that the Olympic Torch belongs to the Olympics and NOT China. My old freind sir Trevor McDonald carried the flag as it passed me on the South tip of Trafalgar Square.



I was happily jogging down Whitehall to capture the changeover of the torch from Sir Trevor MacDonald and Steve Cram. An extremely kind police officer obviously sensed I was running into danger and helpfully pushed me away quite violently. I would have complained, but I was aghast to witness the bloke next to me being arrested for shouting very loudly 'Free Tibet'. He was also trying to cross the closed off road to get nearer to the Torch (as we all were) to join people who had been waiting there for a while. He must have been an international terrorist to justify what happened next. British Police Officers obviously had a momentary memory relapse and forgot that this country has principles of FREE SPEECH. The man was not just arrested but because he would not shut up he was kicked repeatedly by one of the officers in the picture, until he was finally wrestled to the floor and handcuffed. I saw the whole chain of events and could not see anything to justify the treatment that was meted out to him. To the British Police and those who instructed them on todays events I can only say ' SHAME ON YOU'.


After witnessing the arrest above, I thought these two ladies were particularly brave, but they know that we have free speech in this country. They were being heckled by the Chinese supporters in the Square. Bear in mind it snowed heavily this morning, and it was pretty cold in that fountain!!


and the reason that everyone was protesting ... For a free Tibet




Just before the torch left Trafalgar Square there was an explosion of Blue Ticker Tape. Poor Nelson was already covered in Snow, I am sure he is famous for fighting the Blues of France.. what would he make of today's fiasco I wonder?
Chinese flags, Tibetan flags, Olympic flags and Samsung Balloons in Trafalgar Square. The noise was deafening as each side chanted for their beliefs... Free Speech at last






I think he was just enjoying the spectacle . . . . .







The Lions came off second best after the ticker tape. . .








Chinese Celebrations in the Square















1 comment:

Mark said...

Great photos - especially the one of the arrest in progress. Good job chronicling police over-eagerness to prevent free speech. Stumble on your blog while mindlessly blog browsing and it's definitely one of the better ones. Well done.

Mark