Monday 5 May 2008

Stonehenge - A Piteous story of Sod's Law

About two years ago I realised that English Heritage offered out-of-hours access to the stones at Stonehenge. I took the children along with me then, and we spent a grey, damp(ish) hour at Stonehenge. However the boys were away for the night, the forecast from the BBC was for a HOT HOT HOT Bank holiday and there were bookings available for dawn at Stonehenge. I was hooked, and happily packed up my cameras, tripod, spare SD card etc etc. What I did not take was my raincoat, my raincovers for the camera or my wellingtons. . . . When I woke just before dawn at 5am it was not raining, it was not even drizzling, oh not it was belting down.. proper proper rain. . . . .



OK< so now I am freezing myself, in my pyjamas, at Stonehenge, just me and an equally wet security guard. I decided I was going to have to be brave for at least half an hour, because I couldn't risk the three security guards having got up at 5.30 especially for me, and I was going back to bed after 5 minutes of rain trickling down my back. . .


however although the rain did not ease I was glad to be there, all alone just me and the stones (and the security guard) it was such a privilidge. I just wish it had been sunny with a wonderful sunrise. . . .
However I had taken these when I arrived the evening before. . . . I had wanted to go to Stonehenge on this access tour but the slots had all been taken... and to be honest having seen the forecast I probably would have gone for the morning slot anyway!!





These photos are taken over the fence... and as I am not particularly tall they were taken on tiptoe, standing in the nettles with my arms fully extended above my head.... so I can't really take any credit, if you were going to offer some.....








So what shall I do?? Book again next year?????

No comments: