Monday 29 December 2008

ISRAEL - The Judean desert

The Judean desert . . . begins shortly after leaving Jerusalem, and at some point shortly south of our hotel becomes the Negev desert all the way down to Eilat. What a fascinating place.. no two views are the same... and I suspect that it looks different every single day as well.

The first photograph was taken from the back of our hotel.... at this point (7am) it was sunny, so the change later that day was quite a shock!
I think that this is my favourite photo of the desert... taken from the top of the masada.... It looks almost alien, how I imagine the surface of the moon to be . . .


This photo is almost identical to the first, but was taken just over an hour later.. the weather was changing very fast here... and the wind was really whipping up the sand. . .
as we drove away from Masada, we crsse dteh desert towards the new motorway to Tel Aviv.. At the time I did not realise that we were skirting Gaza, about 20km away at our nearest point.... Driving across the desert was awesome, made more so by the act that there was a (ok small) sandstorm.. and visibilty was prro, and sunlight very muted. My suitcases were on the roof, and may never recover.. they certainly got some very strange looks at Ben Gurion airport!

En route, we passed lots of Bedouin settlements.. these were all pictured at speed.. Kester is of the opinion that I can snap away at 90kmph.. and as we all know, ever still lifes can be tricky for me...
and the road what we took.. towards Hebron.. but not for long... thankfully. 24 hours after this photo was taken all hell broke loose in Southern Israel, and the Israeli army are busy bombng Gaza, not Hebron I knwo, but I am guessing that the situation is tense there. Israel is a beautiful country, with warm, friendly and happy people. While we were there I did not once feel unsafe, or threatened by the situation in any way. We, as a family wished that a peaceful solution could be found in the Middle East, but fear that this must be many decades away... such a shame...

No comments: