Monday 29 December 2008

ISRAEL - The Dead Sea

So, where to begin with all these photographs of five wonderful days in Israel??? Every time I have sat down, the mission seems impossible.. what to chose. Anyaway I have decided to kick off with the Dead Sea, which ironically was one of the last places that we visited. We arrived early evening in the pitch dark... this was taken from my hotel bedroom (the Daniel at the Dead Sea.. really don't bother, it's not a great hotel.. there have to be better places to stay in one of the most awesome places on the planet. Also, THE lowest place on the planet.. we were 400 metres below Sea Level when this photo was taken.. and boy didn't my ears know about that as we made out descent! By the way, the lights you can see in the distance are Jordan... well a few houses in Jordan, not the whole nation at a small guess. . .

The next morning I woke up just before six before sun-up!.. much nicer view. . .
and then over the next hour I kept getting up and snapping much to the irritation of Tom and Jamie ... (did I menton the hotel was so crap I had to sleep on the floor as the bed was less comfortable that sleeping in a fridge.. a tiny one...)

I love the salt deposits around the rocky island. The further south you do the saltier teh Dead Sea gets, we were about half way down and about average saltiness

Just a couple of miles north, you can see the problems that Global Warming is causing in this region. Whole swathes of the Dead Sea are alwmost empty with just artificial channels dug to allow water to continue to flow. The river Jordan has been diverted for irrigation so much that in 20 years this amazing Sea may no longer exist . .


and on to the floating.... we all pathetically forgot the newspaper, and so had to resort to reading Tom's Arsenal programme!




and just a quick warning here.. you may wish to skip this last photograph.... but some people wanted proof that I was swimming outdoors on 23rd December!! although when I say swimming, I mean floating... and when I say floating really mean just sitting there . . .

1 comment:

jennyberrypix.blogspot.com said...

Looks fantastic, shame about the hotel though but at least the fact that you didn't sleep very well means we have more photos to look at!! J x